26 CLEANING HACKS
Cleaning is often the worst part of packing up and moving to a new place. When you’re ready to move on, the last thing you want to do is clean up and
1. Use Soap to Fill Nail Holes – Did you know that you can use soap to fill in your nail holes when moving? You totally can! Check out the before and after pics.
2. Patch Holes in Walls – If you have holes in the walls (probably from those pesky door handles slamming into the wall), don’t worry! It’s easier to patch than you may think.
3. Wash Walls – Here are some helpful tips and steps to deep-cleaning those walls after you get your artwork and wall hangings packed.
4. The Secret to Cleaning Crayon Drawings – Did you know that WD-40 is amazing at getting the crayon off of walls without taking off the paint? If you have little ones at home, you’ve gotta check this out.
5. Use Dryer Sheets to Clean Baseboards – Did you know that wiping your baseboards with a dryer sheet will help repel dust and keep them clean longer?
6. Fix Broken Blinds – If you have have mini blinds and little children in your home, chances are you’re going to need this post. Instead of replacing all of the broken blinds from the littles ones trying to look out the window, fix them!
7. How to Clean Dirty Blinds – Cleaning the blinds is usually a dreaded chore, so chances are, they’ll need some cleaning before you move out. Luckily, it’s not hard to do if you use the right cleaner.
8. Clean Window Tracks – It always surprises (and disgusts) me how dirty window tracks can get. Here’s a painless approach for getting them nice and clean again.
9. Simple Tip for Cleaning Vents – If you’re like most people, you probably don’t get around to cleaning your vents very often. No worries, here’s a secret cleaning tip using Turtle Wax. Yep, you read that right.
10. DIY Carpet Stain Remover – Keeping the carpet clean with little ones at home can be nearly impossible. Luckily, we’ve found a recipe for the magic stain remover!
11. Quick Carpet Fix – After you move all of your furniture out of the house, you’re probably going to be left with furniture marks all over your carpet. Here’s a super-easy tip to get your carpet looking good as new. Just place ice cubes all along the marks and wait for them to melt. Then just use a fork to fluff the carpet back up, and it will be like they were never there.
12. Clean Dishwasher Easily – Most people don’t think about cleaning the dishwasher, but the drains on dishwashers can get pretty gunked up. It’s a good idea to do a quick cleaning before you move out (for the new owners), and even at your new house (in case the old owners haven’t.)
13. Clean Microwave with Lemon and Vinegar – If you despise cleaning the microwave as much as I do, you’ll love this no scrub method. We love that it doesn’t use harsh chemicals either, just lemon and vinegar.
14. No Scrub Oven Cleaner – Can you tell I’m a fan on the no-scrub methods? This one’s great just because of that, but it’s also made using ingredients you probably already have around the house.
15. Steam Clean the Ice and Water Dispenser – When we moved into our new house, it was squeaky clean – except for one thing … the ice and water dispenser! It was actually pretty disturbing how gross it was. I get it, those things are hard to clean with all the sediment build-up. Luckily, steam cleaning makes a world of a difference! If you haven’t used a power steamer before, you’re really missing out. They are AMAZING at deep cleaning without all the elbow grease. They’re totally worth renting or buying when you’re doing a lot of cleaning when moving out and in.
16. How to Deep-Clean a Dirty Fridge – Cleaning the fridge is definitely a big chore. If you don’t know where to start, just follow these steps for a super clean fridge.
17. Shine Stainless Steel With Cream of Tartar – Link is no longer available 🙁 But, did you know that cream of tartar is amazing for shining stainless steel? It’s true! You’ve gotta try it.
18. Clean Gunk Off Kitchen Cabinets – This kitchen cabinet cleaner only needs two ingredients and it’s amazing at removing the gunk and grime.
19. DIY Grout Cleaner – If you’re having trouble getting the grout white again, you might want to try this DIY cleaner. Just spray it on your grout, wait an hour, and scrub away. (Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is also GREAT for grout!)
20. Easy Tip for Cleaning Kitchen Grease – Kitchen grease can be tough to tackle. But did you know that rubbing alcohol is amazing at cleaning it off? Try it on your range hood – you’ll be blown away at the difference.
21. How to Remove Hard Water from Faucets – Hard water is the bane of my existence. Okay, maybe that’s a little dramatic, but it can be SO hard to clean and that nasty build-up is so unsightly. Wanna know the secret? Plain white vinegar!
22. DIY No Scrub Tub Cleaner – I told you I was a fan of no-scrub cleaners. I mean, who likes scrubbing? And this tub cleaner only uses 2 ingredients! Check out the before and after pictures.
23. Clean Glass Shower Doors the Easy Way – We had to include this cleaning solution for shower doors because it’s the real deal! It actually comes from a professional glass repairman and uses Hard Water Stain and Spot Remover and Commercial Scouring Pads (not the kind you can find at any old store). See? This one is legit!
24. Easily Clean Shower Head – If you need to pass a cleaning inspection, or want to get your deposit back, don’t forget to clean your shower head. You’d be amazed at how gross they get if you haven’t noticed before. Luckily, we have yet another no-scrub solution for you! Because moving is enough work already.
25. Naturally Clean Washing Machine – Can you believe the difference in the before and after picture of this washing machine?! It’s super easy to pull off too!
26. How to Clean Dryer Ducts – You could hire a professional to clean your dryer ducts, but that could cost you up to $150. OR you could follow these steps and clean your own in only 15-20 minutes.